The decision to close or delay Southwest School Corporation Schools relies on many factors and is a decision that is never made lightly and without a great deal of consideration. This decision is many times made in collaboration with other county and neighboring schools, as well as the county/state highway officials and emergency personnel. We take into consideration the current weather, road conditions, as well as the duration of the wind-chill factor predictions.
The following is a list of the emergency options used by Southwest School Corporation. Please discuss these with your children/family and have a plan in place for each instance.
● All Southwest School Corporation Schools will be closed. No buses will run. The SWSC is allowed to implement up to three e-learning days per school year. It will be announced on the closure notices if an e-learning day will be implemented.
● All Southwest School Corporation Schools will have a 1-hour delay in starting school.
● Buses will run 1-hour later than usual. Pick-up points and announced dismissal times will remain the same.
● All Southwest School Corporation Schools will have a 2-hour delay starting school.
● Buses will run 2 hours later than usual. Pick-up points and announced dismissal times will remain the same.
● Southwest School Corporation Schools will dismiss students early. An automated phone call and text message will be sent as well as notification to local media.
CANCELLATION OR DELAY OF SCHOOL
Southwest School Corporation uses several methods for communicating and announcing delays and closings. These methods include:
Automated Phone Calls - We will send out an automated telephone announcement to all parents and staff for all school closings, delays and early dismissals. The phone number that will make the call is (812) 268-6311.
SMS Messaging - We will also send out an automated text message to all parents and staff for all school closings, delays and early dismissals. This will come from 98900.
Social Media - We will post to our @SWESTSCHOOLS Twitter and school Facebook pages.
Local Media - We also call a number of local radio and television stations to announce our closings and delays.
*Whenever possible, school closings and delay decisions will be made before 6:30 AM.
**PLEASE, DO NOT CALL THE OFFICES OF THE SCHOOLS OR CENTRAL OFFICE. WE WILL BE UTILIZING THOSE LINES TO MAKE THE NECESSARY CALLS TO NOTIFY OTHERS OF VITAL INFORMATION.