NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING ON DECEMBER 17, 2014
Southwest School Corporation
Administrative Office Board Room
110 N. Main Street
Sullivan, IN 47882
Pursuant to Indiana Code 20-26-5-4.3, the Board of School Trustees of the Southwest School Corporation will meet on December 17, 2014 at 6:30 p.m. to discuss and hear objections to and support for a proposed Superintendent’s contract. A summary of the proposed Superintendent’s contract is as follows:
This contract is a four (4) year contract by and between the Southwest School Corporation of Sullivan County, Indiana, and the Superintendent and is covering the period from July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2019. The contract if approved will be signed and executed at the January 14, 2015 Board Meeting. It is agreed by and between the parties that:
(1) The length of contract is 252 days per each year of the contract. The Central Office will be open 4 days per week in June and July. Those days will be Monday – Thursday.
(2) The payment schedule and contract amount shown for the period of July 1, 2015, to June 30, 2016. The salary for this contract period is to be $91,800.00 to be paid on regularly scheduled pay days of the school corporation.
(3) This contract shall be subject to an annual salary review, and that the salary for subsequent years shall not be less than the preceding year. The percentage of salary increase agreed upon with the Southwest Sullivan Education Association will be an annual minimum increase. In order to receive this salary increase the superintendent must receive an evaluation effectiveness rating of effective or highly effective.
(4) Performance Based Stipend – The school district will provide a performance based stipend based on the school corporation’s success. This stipend would be payable after the release of the corporation letter grade. This amount would not exceed $3,000.00 and could only be received if the school corporation received a letter grade of A or B. If the state would change it’s assessment of corporation success the Board has the discretion to award a performance based stipend not to exceed 5% of the superintendent’s base pay. The amount of the Performance Based Stipend is at the sole discretion of the Board of Trustee.
(5) Professional Development Stipend – Upon the completion of approved Professional Development by the Board during each semester the superintendent will be awarded a stipend of $500.00 per semester.
(6) The Board also agrees to pay the Indiana State Teachers Retirement deduction payable on gross salary. (Currently 3% which equals $2,754.00)
(7) It is also agreed that in addition to the salary specified by the contract, the Board of School Trustees will reimburse the Superintendent of Schools for reasonable and necessary educational expenses incurred in the performance of his duties as Superintendent. His attendance at National, State, and Regional professional meetings is encouraged.
(8) It is also agreed between the parties that the Board of School Trustees will pay any dues required by the State and/or Superintendent’s Association for which the Superintendent is a member. ($1,800.00)
(9) It is also agreed between the parties that the Board of School Trustees will pay all premiums except $1.00 per year for a $115,000 group life insurance policy ($234.80), a dental plan ($737.04), and a vision plan ($373.04), which plans are available to all similarly situation certified employees.
(10) It is also agreed between the parties that the Board of Trustees will pay 100% of the health insurance premiums except $1.00 per year for a single or family plan ($14,112.00 + $2,400 HSA Contribution) available to other certified employees. If a high deductible health plan (HDHP) is selected the Board agrees to contribute $3,000 each year to the employee’s health savings account (HSA). The first year (2015-16) of the contract this additional contribution amount will be made during the month of July. After the first year, the contributions will be made annually during the month of January beginning in 2016-17.
(11) The Board of School Trustees will also contribute an additional annuity amount of ($8,000.00) into the 403B each year. The parties agree to complete any and all documents necessary to implement this provision.
(12) The Board of School Trustees will also provide the Superintendent with the following fringe benefits: (a.)Retirement Severance Pay ($25 per accumulated sick day – maximum 270 Days), (b.) VEBA (1.5% of annual salary $1,377.00), and (c.) Ongoing Contributions (401a 1.5% $1,377.00) as they pertain to those employees not retiring prior to September 1, 2004, (d.) personal leaves of absences (4 days) (e.) illness leave (20 days), (f.) accumulated illness leave days (270 days), (g.) bereavement leave (up to 7 days), (h.) professional leave (as needed), (i.) illness leave bank (as needed), (j.) matching annuity ($1,344.00), (k.) long term disability (536.40), (l.) and all as listed in the Contract between the Board of School Trustees of the Southwest School Corporation and the Southwest Sullivan Education Association expiring on June 30, 2015, as modified by any changes made in the successor contract.
(13) It is further agreed that the Board of School Trustees will grant to the Superintendent of Schools four (4) weeks of annual paid vacation not to include Federal and State holidays. Any paid vacation days not taken or used during a contract year will be paid at the daily rate in the form of a stipend by June 30th each year. Vacation days will not be allowed to accumulate from one contract year to another.
(14) The Board of School Trustees will also provide the Superintendent with use of electronic devices necessary to fulfill his duties. This would include but is not limited to: cell phone, computer, and internet access. ($1000)
(15) At the conclusion of the third year of this contract, the contract will be extended for one year at the end of each of every year based upon an evaluation of effective or highly effective.